Take your class online with SUNY
You will learn the same curriculum as our on-campus students
This interdisciplinary course offers an introduction to the development of mathematics from antiquity to the present. Moving beyond an outline of the development of mathematical ideas in Europe and its colonies, students will also study mathematical developments in other cultures, including the ancient Mesopotamian, Chinese, Indian and Egyptian civilizations. Emphasis will be placed on mathematical developments in broader historical and cultural context. Students will discuss points of view concerning selected core controversies in mathematics, research and write about the contributions of individuals or cultural groups to the development of mathematics, and solve a variety of mathematical problems of historical interest. Note: This study is appropriate for students who need general education credit in mathematics.This course was previously SMT-272904 History of Mathematics.
Course Area: Mathematics
Level: Lower Level Undergraduate
Dates: 09-05-2023 - 12-15-2023
- Find books for your online class
- Local Course ID: 23FA_ESC_MATH2005_01
- Books & Supplies
How to Register for an Online Course
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- Search for an online course by keyword, semester, campus, area, or a combination of each.
- Select Course
- Select a course from the results list that fits your needs.
- Visit College Website
- Click “register now” to visit the college website to register as a “non-credit” or “non-matriculated” student if you are not enrolled at the campus.
- Contact Registrar
- Contact the registrar’s office or enrollment office to register for the course. Make sure you have the course name and course ID when you register.
- Transfer Credits
- If you plan to transfer credit for the course, make sure you have reviewed the course with the advisor at your current college to ensure the credits will transfer to your degree program.
- Locate Course Materials
- Once you register for the course, visit the campus bookstore to find the books and materials for the course. You will need the course ID to find the books.