Earn your Associate of Science online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The Individual Studies AS allows you to explore majors, career options, and futures. The broad-based degree prepares students for transfer into four-year programs at various colleges and universities. A general degree in individual studies can be tailored to fulfill a career goal that cannot be met by traditional program offerings or to use credits you may have already earned at another institution.
Students with an individual studies degree work closely with an advisor to prepare for transfer into bachelor's degrees that take them into a variety of careers such as nonprofit, communications, business, entrepreneurship, healthcare management, human services, and more. Students can transfer easily into a four-year degree completion program as a junior because of their work with the advisor to take classes for specific degrees and completion of all SUNY general education requirements.
Coursework in the individual studies program at Alfred State is offered in 4- to 7-week sessions to help you better focus on each course.
- What's an associate degree?
- An associate degree usually takes two years of study and prepares students for employment or transfer to a bachelor’s program at a four-year university.
Courses you will take online
Students work closely with an advisor to take courses and customize their curriculum.
- Individual studies students take SUNY general education courses.
- A career exploration course allows students to begin to carve out an education and career path.
- Students take career-area electives.
- After 15 credits, students should begin to understand what they want to study and where they want to transfer.
- After deciding on a transfer plan, students customize their degree to meet transfer requirements to a bachelor's degree program.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- SUNY Online Success Coach
- Success Coaches are available for onboarding, networking, and success webinars with coaches and peers. One-on-one application support is available (no application fee).
- Personal assistance
- Tutoring support is available as well as additional support from our 7-day-a-week helpdesk.
- Program elements
- This program has been identified as a high-needs area and has received regional accreditation. Articulation agreements are in place for easy transfer.
- Additional elements for specific programs
- -Experiential learning opportunities
- SUNY Online Signature Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Signature Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- Request Program Information
How do I apply?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- Apply Now