Earn your associate degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The Court and Realtime Reporting AAS from Alfred State College is certified by the National Court Reporters Association. The 2-year program prepares students for careers as official, freelance, realtime reporters, and captioners. Jobs are available for competent court reporters to work in all fields of reporting, including realtime and closed captioning for the hearing impaired.
One feature of the court and realtime reporting program is the development of high speed recording skills to 225-plus words per minute through the use of realtime translation machine shorthand and computer aided transcription (CAT). In the first year, students learn realtime shorthand theory and develop computer skills that will enhance their overall employability.
The prerequisite for entering the specialized court reporting course in the summer session is the attainment of a minimum recording speed of 90 words per minute. Development of skills in recording and transcribing specialized court reporting matter starts in the summer term and continues through the second year. Students in their senior year elect to go in to judicial or broadcast captioning. All entering freshmen are required to purchase their own computerized shorthand machine and student software in order to practice realtime writing outside the class.
- What's an associate degree?
- An associate degree usually takes two years of study and prepares students for employment or transfer to a bachelor’s program at a four-year university.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Access to a personal tutor
- You will have access to a tutor when you need assistance with any of your classes.
- SUNY Online Plus Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Plus Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW