- Designated As
- Plus Program
- Delivery Mode
- 100% Online
- Total Credits
- Degree Level
- Contact Us
Earn your certificate degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The Court Reporting and Captioning certificate from Alfred State College is certified by the National Court Reporters Association. The undergraduate certificate prepares students for careers as official, freelance, realtime reporters, and captioners. Jobs are available for competent court reporters to work in all fields of reporting, including realtime and closed captioning for the hearing impaired. One feature of the court and realtime reporting program is the development of high speed recording skills to 225-plus words per minute through the use of realtime translation machine shorthand and computer aided transcription (CAT).
In the first year, students learn realtime shorthand theory and develop computer skills that will enhance their overall employability. The prerequisite for entering the specialized court reporting course in the summer session is the attainment of a minimum recording speed of 90 words per minute. Development of skills in recording and transcribing specialized court reporting matter starts in the summer term and continues through the second year. Students in their senior year elect to go in to judicial or broadcast captioning. All entering freshmen are required to purchase their own computerized shorthand machine and student software in order to practice realtime writing outside the class. The approximate cost of this equipment is $2,000 and should be included in college expenses.
The college offers court reporting-related courses over the Internet, making it possible for students who transfer in credit or attend other colleges to earn their certificate from Alfred State in court and realtime reporting. The online approach still requires two years of course work and does not change any of the standards reflected in graduation requirements for all students. This approach is designed for those who are currently working and seeking a change in career, single parents, or individuals who cannot attend college campus.
- What's a certificate?
- Certificates are usually one year in length and lead directly to employment. They consist of a focused series of courses and are typically found at Community Colleges.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Access to a personal tutor
- You will have access to a tutor when you need assistance with any of your classes.
- SUNY Online Plus Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Plus Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW