Earn your associate degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Overview of Alfred State College Individual Studies AS - Online
The Individual Studies AS from Alfred State allows you to explore majors, career options, and futures. The broad-based degree prepares students for transfer into four-year programs at various colleges and universities. Individual studies degree programs are ones that can be tailored to fulfill a career goal that cannot be met by traditional program offerings and allow students to use credits they may have already earned at another institution.
As an individual studies major you:
- Build on what you have learned and want to learn to build your own course of study
- Take courses in a variety of different subjects
- Transfer credits from one or many schools to apply toward your associate degree
- Work with an advisor to build a degree that allows you to focus on your academic, personal, and career interests
Students with a 2-year individual studies major work closely with an advisor to prepare for transfer into bachelor's degrees that take them into a variety of careers such as nonprofit, communications, business, entrepreneurship, healthcare management, human services, and more. Students can transfer easily into a four-year degree completion program as a junior because of their work with the advisor to take classes for specific degrees and completion of all SUNY general education requirements.
Coursework in the individual studies program at Alfred State is offered in 4- to 7-week sessions to help you better focus on each course. Summer and winter sessions are offered so you can finish faster. Courses at Alfred State College are developed and taught by faculty with industry experience. Faculty create assignments that challenge you to connect the course content with the real experiences in the field. Opportunities are built into the AS degree to help students make connections with industry professionals. An individual studies degree gives students the unique ability to sample or select courses from different fields and provides excellent preparation for transfer or tailoring to specific career goals. While pursuing the degree online, faculty and advisors are available to meet virtually or via phone to help students be successful.
Students work closely with an advisor to take courses and customize their curriculum.
- Individual studies students take SUNY general education courses.
- A career exploration course allows students to begin to carve out an education and career path.
- Students take career-area electives.
- After 15 credits, students should begin to understand what they want to study and where they want to transfer.
- After deciding on a transfer plan, students customize their degree to meet transfer requirements to a bachelor's degree program.
What can you do with a degree in individual studies?
Students with individual studies degrees have more options than most, especially if they are using old credits or work experience, because they build their own degree path. With a degree in individualized studies, you can:
- Transfer into a bachelor's degree program as a junior because of the targeted work with the advisor to take classes for specific degrees.
- Transfer to a bachelor's degree in individual studies or general studies.
- Customize a degree path based on old credits and future plans.
- Take career-focused classes.
- Get credit for classes you have taken over the years and want to combine into a degree.
- What's an associate degree?
- An associate degree usually takes two years of study and prepares students for employment or transfer to a bachelor’s program at a four-year university.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Access to a personal tutor
- You will have access to a tutor when you need assistance with any of your classes.
- SUNY Online Plus Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Plus Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW