Earn your Associate of Science online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Overview of Alfred State College Individual Studies AS - Online
The Individual Studies AS from Alfred State allows you to explore majors, career options, and futures. The broad-based degree prepares students for transfer into four-year programs at various colleges and universities. Individual studies degree programs are ones that can be tailored to fulfill a career goal that cannot be met by traditional program offerings and allow students to use credits they may have already earned at another institution.
Students with a 2-year individual studies degree work closely with an advisor to prepare for transfer into bachelor's degrees that take them into a variety of careers such as nonprofit, communications, business, entrepreneurship, healthcare management, human services, and more. Students can transfer easily into a four-year degree completion program as a junior because of their work with the advisor to take classes for specific degrees and completion of all SUNY general education requirements.
Coursework in the individual studies program at Alfred State is offered in 4- to 7-week sessions to help you better focus on each course. Summer and winter sessions are offered so you can finish faster. Courses at Alfred State College are developed and taught by faculty with industry experience. Faculty create assignments that challenge you to connect the course content with the real experiences in the field. Opportunities are built into the AS degree to help students make connections with industry professionals. An individual studies degree gives students the unique ability to sample or select courses from different fields and provides excellent preparation for transfer or tailoring to specific career goals. While pursuing the degree online, faculty and advisors are available to meet virtually or via phone to help students be successful.
What do students choose the Individual Studies AS degree?
You have many options when you earn an individual studies degree. Students with individual studies degrees have more options than most, especially if they are using old credits. With an individual studies degree, you can:
- Transfer into a bachelor's degree program as a junior because of the targeted work with the advisor to take classes for specific degrees.
- Transfer to a bachelor's degree in individual studies or general studies.
- Customize a degree path based on old credits and future plans.
- Take career-focused classes.
- Get credit for classes you have take over the years and want to combine into a degree.
- What's an associate degree?
- An associate degree usually takes two years of study and prepares students for employment or transfer to a bachelor’s program at a four-year university.
Courses you will take online
Students work closely with an advisor to take courses and customize their curriculum.
- Individual studies students take SUNY general education courses.
- A career exploration course allows students to begin to carve out an education and career path.
- Students take career-area electives.
- After 15 credits, students should begin to understand what they want to study and where they want to transfer.
- After deciding on a transfer plan, students customize their degree to meet transfer requirements to a bachelor's degree program.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- SUNY Online Success Coach
- Success Coaches are available for onboarding, networking, and success webinars with coaches and peers. One-on-one application support is available (no application fee).
- Personal assistance
- Tutoring support is available as well as additional support from our 7-day-a-week helpdesk.
- Program elements
- This program has been identified as a high-needs area and has received regional accreditation. Articulation agreements are in place for easy transfer.
- Additional elements for specific programs
- -Experiential learning opportunities
- SUNY Online Signature Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Signature Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I apply?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW