Earn your bachelor degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Overview of SUNY Canton Health Care Management BS - Online
B.S. in Health Care Management from SUNY Canton is designed for working professionals and transfer students from the healthcare, business, and liberal arts programs. Healthcare is one of the country's fastest-growing job markets with the demand for medical and health service managers to surge 32% by 2030 as employers look to fill tens of thousands of new positions. The projected growth for healthcare managers is higher than in most industries. This program prepares students to enter public and private service jobs with skills adaptable to healthcare industry changes.
Health care management is a field that allows professionals to work in the healthcare field without working directly on patients. Instead of dispensing medication, taking blood, or providing direct patient care, a health care manager oversees departments and operations, and they ensure the medical establishment or office is working efficiently. Healthcare management requires knowledge of both the healthcare system and business operations to effectively plan, manage, direct, and budget nonclinical operations.
The health care management program at SUNY Canton includes 60 credit hours of liberal arts and sciences with courses in technology, healthcare, finance, economics, managed care, quality standards, management, and business. Courses include:
- Public Health Issues
- Health Care
- Financing Economics of Healthcare
- Managed Care
- Health Care Facility Administration
- Management Communications
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Healthcare
- Health Services Management
- Internship Orientation
- Quality and Patient
- Safety Internship OR Internship Alternative
The program prepares students to enter public and private service jobs with theoretical and practical skills adaptable to changes in the healthcare industry to align with the top skills desired of healthcare managers, such as:
- analytical skills
- communication skills
- attention to detail
- interpersonal skills
- leadership skills
- technical skills
Students earning a B.S. degree can customize their curriculum by choosing courses that help them develop skills in specific areas such as psychology, sociology, or human services. The ability to focus coursework in a specific field can give graduates a competitive advantage over other candidates applying for the same job.
*The time it takes a transfer student to complete the program depends on the number of college credits transferred in. Students can complete the degree in 4 semesters if transferring in with a completed associate degree.
Common job titles for health care management professionals
Health care management graduates can hold a variety of titles in health care systems, organizations, and medical networks. Common job titles for graduates are:
- Clinical manager
- Insurance underwriter
- Facility manager
- Healthcare counselor
- Healthcare coordinator
- What's a bachelor's degree?
- A bachelor’s degree usually takes four years to complete as a full-time student and mixes general education courses with specific courses tied to your major.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Credit for prior knowledge
- Get college credit for experience that you have already gained at school or in the workforce.
- Access to a personal tutor
- You will have access to a tutor when you need assistance with any of your classes.
- SUNY Online Plus Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Plus Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW