Earn your Bachelor of Science online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Overview of SUNY Canton Health Care Management BS - Online
B.S. in Health Care Management from SUNY Canton is designed for working professionals and transfer students from the healthcare, business, and liberal arts programs. Healthcare is one of the country's fastest-growing job markets with the demand for medical and health service managers to surge 32% by 2030 as employers look to fill tens of thousands of new positions. The projected growth for healthcare managers is higher than in most industries. This program prepares students to enter public and private service jobs with skills adaptable to healthcare industry changes.
Health care management is a field that allows professionals to work in the healthcare field without working directly on patients. Instead of dispensing medication, taking blood, or providing direct patient care, a health care manager oversees departments and operations, and they ensure the medical establishment or office is working efficiently. Healthcare management requires knowledge of both the healthcare system and business operations to effectively plan, manage, direct, and budget nonclinical operations.
The health care management program at SUNY Canton includes 60 credit hours of liberal arts and sciences with courses in technology, healthcare, finance, economics, managed care, quality standards, management, and business.
The program prepares students to enter public and private service jobs with theoretical and practical skills adaptable to changes in the healthcare industry to align with the top skills desired of healthcare managers, such as:
- analytical skills
- communication sills
- attention to detail
- interpersonal skills
- leaderships skills
- technical skills
Students earning a B.S. degree can customize their curriculum by choosing courses that help them develop skills in specific areas such as psychology, sociology, or human services. The ability to focus coursework in a specific field can give graduates a competitive advantage over other candidates applying for the same job.
*The time it takes a transfer student to complete the program depends on the number of college credits transferred in. Students can complete the degree in 4 semesters if transferring in with a completed associate degree.
Common job titles for health care management professionals
Health care management graduates can hold a variety of titles in health care systems, organizations, and medical networks. Common job titles for graduates are:
- Clinical manager
- Insurance underwriter
- Facility manager
- Healthcare counselor
- Healthcare coordinator
- What's a bachelor's degree?
- A bachelor’s degree usually takes four years to complete as a full-time student and mixes general education courses with specific courses tied to your major.
Courses you will take online
- Public Health Issues
- Health Care
- Financing Economics of Healthcare
- Managed Care
- Health Care Facility Administration
- Management Communications
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Healthcare
- Health Services Management
- Internship Orientation
- Quality and Patient
- Safety Internship OR Internship Alternative
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- SUNY Online Success Coach
- Success Coaches are available for onboarding, networking, and success webinars with coaches and peers. One-on-one application support is available (no application fee).
- Personal assistance
- Tutoring support is available as well as additional support from our 7-day-a-week helpdesk.
- Program elements
- This program has been identified as a high-needs area and has received regional accreditation. Articulation agreements are in place for easy transfer.
- Additional elements for specific programs
- -Experiential learning opportunities
- SUNY Online Signature Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Signature Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I apply?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW