Earn your bachelor degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The B.S. in Professional Accounting is a 124-credit program, designed to serve students who are interested in pursuing future careers as professional accountants regardless of their chosen field in public, private, nonprofit, and/or governmental accounting services. It also serves students who are motivated to continue their professional journey toward a graduate degree within the School of Graduate Studies or outside of SUNY Empire State College, to complete the educational requirements to earn the designation/license of certified public accountant (CPA).
The program provides the foundation of core competencies, theoretical and technical body of knowledge in the content areas of professional accounting, general business, and SUNY liberal arts and general education requirements. Students will have the option of completing the degree program through various delivery modes: online, blended, and/or face-to-face study. The program is based on the same general requirements for the registered undergraduate program in Business, Management and Economics including admission requirements.
Students enrolled in 16 credits per semester, two semesters per year, could expect to complete this program in four years. Empire State College also offers a summer term with accounting and business courses.
By the end of the program, graduates will be able to:
1.Identify the legal, economic, and global forces and their impact on a business environment and its sustainability and continuity.
2.Explore the role played by accountants and the role of their professional and ethical conduct in serving the society.
3.Use the functional core competencies of the accounting profession in measurement, reporting and decision-making processes.
4.Apply the foundation of accounting theory, principles, standards, and system cycles components in classifying, summarizing and reporting of accounting data for internal and external decision-making.
5.Apply risk analysis and analytical procedures relevant to short-term and long-term budgeting, cost systems and behavior, and investment decisions.
6.Build on professional demeanor and ethical conduct within a diverse and global culture business environment.
7.Leverage and reinforce the use of technology in collecting, analyzing, communicating, reporting and securing of financial data, with application on taxation, auditing, system design and control, and financial analysis.
8.Evaluate professional skepticism and demonstrate professional judgment skills in examining and accessing audit risk.
9.Define the applicable accounting principles and standards for various industries and businesses forms.
10.Communicate, discuss, and express a professional opinion on audit and tax planning matters.
11.Develop skills of working with a professional team.
12.Demonstrate problem-solving skills and the ability to acquiring new knowledge and skills continuously by conducting professional research.
13.Arrange a higher level of knowledge when dealing with special topics in accounting that demand distinctive in-depth study, such as mergers and acquisitions, international business transactions and translation, fund accounting, and accounting for estates and trusts.SUNY Empire State College
- What's a bachelor's degree?
- A bachelor’s degree usually takes four years to complete as a full-time student and mixes general education courses with specific courses tied to your major.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Live classes
- You will learn in real-time while the instructor leads the class. Courses are similar to in-person classes, but you participate online.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Credit for prior knowledge
- Get college credit for experience that you have already gained at school or in the workforce.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW