Earn your master degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Empire State Collegeâ€™s M.Ed. in Adolescent Special Education program is a 33-42 credit program available fully online, but requiring access to New York state schools. The programâ€™s philosophy and subsequent courses are based on an inclusive model that prepares teacher candidates for collaboration and co-teaching in the inclusion classroom. Completion of this degree program and passing scores on the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations lead to NYS Students with Disabilities 7-12 Generalist Initial and Professional certification. It is designed for those already teaching and certified in New York state, but looking for additional certification in Students with Disabilities.
In addition to their coursework, students will complete 50 hours of pre-residency classroom field observations, one residency term under the supervision of a Special Education critic teacher, and a capstone action research project to meet program requirements leading to Initial certification.
- What's a master's degree?
- A master's degree is an advanced degree that usually takes two years to complete and typically requires students to have a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Live classes
- You will learn in real-time while the instructor leads the class. Courses are similar to in-person classes, but you participate online.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Request Program Information
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- Apply Now