Earn your Certificate online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Students enrolled in the Teaching Assistant Certification at Finger Lakes Community College meet the education requirements for the teaching assistant III certification through the New York State Department of Education. The program is ideal for working professionals and adults because the teaching assistance certification takes only a year to complete - 100% online.
SUNY's academic programs leading to licensure or certification are carefully designed to meet and exceed New York state requirements. Courses in the certificate focus on federal and state laws and regulations, child and adolescent development and learning, classroom and behavior management, and instructional strategies. Students enrolled in the online teaching assistant certificate take classes in Educational Foundations, Math for Elementary Educators, and specific Teaching Assistant Classes for a solid understanding of the career. Required courses EDU 101 Teacher Assistant I and EDU 102 Teacher Assistant II prepare you for teacher assistant positions in the area of public education upon completion.
Students who earn their certificate can apply for certification with New York State and are positioned to continue their journey to the associate degree in childhood education or general studies online.
- What's a certificate?
- Certificates are usually one year in length and lead directly to employment. They consist of a focused series of courses and are typically found at Community Colleges.
Courses you will take online
Courses in the teaching assistant certificate are:
- Introduction to Children's Literature
- Human Communication
- Teacher Assistant I
- Teacher Assistant II
- Foundations of American Education
- Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers
- Introduction to Psychology
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- SUNY Online Success Coach
- Success Coaches are available for onboarding, networking, and success webinars with coaches and peers. One-on-one application support is available (no application fee).
- Personal assistance
- Tutoring support is available as well as additional support from our 7-day-a-week helpdesk.
- Program elements
- This program has been identified as a high-needs area and has received regional accreditation. Articulation agreements are in place for easy transfer.
- Additional elements for specific programs
- -Experiential learning opportunities
- SUNY Online Signature Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Signature Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- Request Program Information
How do I apply?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- Apply Now