Earn your certificate degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Overview of Finger Lakes Community College Teaching Assistant Certificate
Students enrolled in the Teaching Assistant Certification at Finger Lakes Community College meet the education requirements for the teaching assistant III certification through the New York State Department of Education. The program is ideal for working professionals and adults because the teaching assistance certification III takes only a year to complete - 100% online.
SUNY's academic programs leading to licensure or certification are carefully designed to meet and exceed New York state requirements. Courses in the certificate focus on federal and state laws and regulations, child and adolescent development and learning, classroom and behavior management, and instructional strategies. Students enrolled in the online teaching assistant certificate take classes in Educational Foundations, Math for Elementary Educators, and specific Teaching Assistant Classes for a solid understanding of the career. Required courses EDU 101 Teacher Assistant I and EDU 102 Teacher Assistant II prepare you for teacher assistant positions in public education upon completion.
Students who earn their certificate can apply for certification with New York State and are positioned to continue their journey to the associate degree in childhood education or general studies online.
Courses in the program
Courses in the teaching assistant certificate are:
- Introduction to Children's Literature
- Human Communication
- Teacher Assistant I
- Teacher Assistant II
- Foundations of American Education
- Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers
- Introduction to Psychology
- What's a certificate?
- Certificates are usually one year in length and lead directly to employment. They consist of a focused series of courses and are typically found at Community Colleges.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Credit for prior knowledge
- Get college credit for experience that you have already gained at school or in the workforce.
- Access to a personal tutor
- You will have access to a tutor when you need assistance with any of your classes.
- SUNY Online Plus Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Plus Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW