Earn your advanced-certificate degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
As more children who speak languages other than English enroll in schools, the demand for ENL(English as a New Language) teachers is growing. SUNY Fredonia’s degree program offers you the opportunity to engage in the latest research-based teaching theories and methods, grounded in cultural and linguistic contexts, so you can become a successful, strong teacher informed in best practices for working with this special group of students. This eighteen (18) credit hour program called AC: TESOL leads to a recommendation for a New York State (NYS) Certification in ESOL. There is a NYS requirement for twelve (12) credit hours of Language Other Than English (LOTE) in addition to the 18 main program of study credits. Previous language courses/experiences can count toward the LOTE requirement. Conditional acceptance is often granted before LOTE is fulfilled.
- What's an advanced certificate?
- Advanced, or graduate, certificates are designed to provide focused study to support a particular career interest. They vary in number of credits and typically require students to have a bachelor’s degree.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW