Earn your associate degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The Legal Studies AAS from Herkimer Community College prepares students for positions in law offices, banks, real estate firms, brokerage houses, federal, state and local government agencies and other institutions requiring employees with legal training. Responsibilities include assisting an attorney in legal research, the preparation of documents for hearings or trial and other support services.
The goals of this program are to enable students to:
• maintain redundant legal calendaring, client trust fund accounting and file tracking systems;
• describe the essential elements of contract law;
• describe the process for initiating and maintaining a civil lawsuit in the federal and state court systems;
• describe the major legal principles of real estate and property law, tort law, family law, and the law concerning the administration of wills, trusts and estates; and
• describe the process for conducting legal research on assigned topics / issues from contract, family, criminal, real estate, wills/trusts/estates, and tort law using both manual and computer assisted legal research and to summarize these legal research findings in the format of a legal memorandum.
- What's an associate degree?
- An associate degree usually takes two years of study and prepares students for employment or transfer to a bachelor’s program at a four-year university.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Access to a personal tutor
- You will have access to a tutor when you need assistance with any of your classes.
- SUNY Online Plus Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Plus Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW