Earn your master degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
A first-of-its-kind master’s in history. For more than 150 years, SUNY Cortland has set the bar in teacher education. The university’s online master’s program in history offers further proof.
For teachers and translators of history: The program is ideal for social studies teachers seeking a master’s or anyone who works in educational roles in museums, archives or other settings.
Unique in approach: Relevant class topics include a required course devoted to the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL), which dives deep into how people learn history.
Strong faculty mentors: History Department faculty members are passionate about what they do: exploring new ideas, leading discussions and building professional relationships with students.
Flexible and manageable: The 31-credit program is offered fully online with synchronous meetings at convenient times.
- What's a master's degree?
- A master's degree is an advanced degree that usually takes two years to complete and typically requires students to have a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Live classes
- You will learn in real-time while the instructor leads the class. Courses are similar to in-person classes, but you participate online.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Request Program Information
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- Apply Now