Earn your associate degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Overview of Monroe CC Business Admin: Accounting
The Business Administration: Accounting degree at Monroe Community College is equivalent to the first two years of a bachelor's degree program. The 2-year, fully online accounting degree prepares students to transfer to a four-year school with full junior status. The Business Administration: Accounting Program includes accounting, business, and general education courses to provide a sound background for further study and a career in accounting. After 2 years of full-time study, students can seamlessly transfer and pursue their four-year accounting degree.
What You Will Learn in the 2-year Accounting Program
After completing the accounting program, a student is prepared to:
- have a solid foundation to explain fundamental business concepts and theories within core business disciplines
- discuss current issues that impact business, including ethics, social responsibility, globalization, diversity, inclusion, or sustainability.
- apply information technology to support business tasks or inform decision-making.
- evaluate various environmental impacts on business, including legal, social, or economic contexts.
- analyze situations or solve problems in business settings using critical thinking skills.
- apply legal principles to practical business situations.
- demonstrate effective communication skills using a variety of methods.
- complete all steps of the accounting cycle.
- analyze data, which may include budgets or variance reports, to support managerial decisions.
- apply quantitative reasoning skills in performing job duties which may include ratio analysis or cost-volume-profit computations.
Requirements for the Program
Students who are interested in the associate degree need:
- MTH 104 - Intermediate Algebra - with a grade of C or higher,
- MCC Level 8 Mathematics Placement,
- or permission of the Business Administration Department Chairperson.
Students who place at MCC Level 4 - 7 in the Mathematics Placement require permission from the Business Administration Department Chairperson. Students who place at MCC Level 8 in Mathematics or higher will automatically meet the admission requirement.
A Level 8 math student must take MTH 165 - College Algebra. Level 9 or Level 10 math students do not need to take College Algebra and may take an open elective instead. Students below Level 8 math can work with their advisor for guidance.
Courses you will take
- Accounting Principles I and II
- Principles of Marketing
- Micro and Macro Economics
- Intro to Business
- SUNY General Education Courses
What can you do with an Accounting AS?
After earning an associate degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting, students can enter the workforce while they finish a bachelor's degree. Graduates from the program have obtained jobs as tellers, office managers, bookkeepers, tax assistants, and some go on to start their own small businesses, but an AS degree is just the first step.
Students who graduate with an AS in Business Administration: Accounting are prepared to transfer as a junior to a 4-year accounting degree offered at SUNY. Starting with an associate degree gives students the most affordable path to a bachelor's degree, and after earning a BS in Accounting, students enter the workforce with both an associate and bachelor's degree. 120 credits are required to sit for the CPA exam, so after completing an undergraduate degree, graduates advance to a graduate degree program or graduate classes to meet the 150-credit requirement for a CPA license in New York.
- What's an associate degree?
- An associate degree usually takes two years of study and prepares students for employment or transfer to a bachelor’s program at a four-year university.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Access to a personal tutor
- You will have access to a tutor when you need assistance with any of your classes.
- SUNY Online Plus Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Plus Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW