Earn your Associate of Science online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Overview of Monroe CC Homeland Security AS - Online
The online Homeland Security A.S. degree from Monroe Community College is equivalent to the first 2 years of a bachelor's degree in homeland security or emergency management. The homeland security associate degree equips you with the knowledge and skills to provide vital prevention and protection services to our country and your community. The accredited, two-year degree inspires students to discover a world of homeland security career opportunities in national, private, community, or global security.
Homeland security is a national effort to protect and respond to threats against the United States, according to the EPA. Homeland security professionals protect the states from natural disasters, pandemics, terrorism, and cyber threats and attacks. Homeland security graduates are critical to all levels of homeland security, such as law enforcement, intelligence analysis, information security, infrastructure protection, emergency management, and cybersecurity.
Learn about joining the front lines as an immigration or customs inspector, a trained expert in law enforcement, or an emergency medical services provider. Perhaps you prefer the combat domestic and global threats online instead, the homeland security degree prepares you to work behind the scenes in cybersecurity and emergency planning.
What You Will Learn in the Homeland Security Program
When you receive your AS in Homeland Security, you will be educated and trained to:
- Describe the role and functions of homeland security in our nation’s various governmental systems.
- Describe the structure and functions of various governmental agencies responsible for homeland security at the local, state, federal and international levels.
- Compare the various homeland security threats, including terrorism, man-made, technological and natural disasters.
- Explain the interactions of the various agencies at the local, state and federal levels and how they integrate their resources related to homeland security.
- Explain core principles of homeland security as they apply to the roles of citizens, governmental agencies and the private sector.
- Apply appropriate policies and procedures of homeland security to real world situations and threats.
- Identify appropriate responses to ethical issues encountered in the homeland security professions.
- Identify homeland security career options and their required qualifications.
What you can do with an associate degree in homeland security
After successfully graduating with a 2-year degree in homeland security, most graduates transfer to a 4-year college. As a homeland security graduate, you are ready to apply for transfer as a junior to a bachelor's degree program in homeland security, emergency management, security studies, or a related major at a SUNY college.
In addition to transferring to a bachelor's degree, graduates with an associate degree in homeland security can also obtain jobs with the TSA (Transportation Security Administration), in loss prevention and mitigation, and cybersecurity.
- What's an associate degree?
- An associate degree usually takes two years of study and prepares students for employment or transfer to a bachelor’s program at a four-year university.
Courses you will take online
Courses in the homeland security degree program are:
- Intro to Intelligence Processes
- Physical Security
- Historical and Contemporary Perspectives on Terrorism and Homeland Security
- Intro to Cybersecurity
- Communication and Crisis
- Intro to Emergency Management
- Computer Security I
- International Politics
- Organizational and Facility Security
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- SUNY Online Success Coach
- Success Coaches are available for onboarding, networking, and success webinars with coaches and peers. One-on-one application support is available (no application fee).
- Personal assistance
- Tutoring support is available as well as additional support from our 7-day-a-week helpdesk.
- Program elements
- This program has been identified as a high-needs area and has received regional accreditation. Articulation agreements are in place for easy transfer.
- Additional elements for specific programs
- -Experiential learning opportunities
- SUNY Online Signature Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Signature Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I apply?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW