Earn your Bachelor of Science online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Overview of SUNY Plattsburgh Accounting BS - Online
The accounting bachelor's degree through SUNY Plattsburgh offers New York residents and working adults with scheduling and location constraints. Students who have earned an associate degree can finish the last two years of their accounting degree online. The program provides a unique opportunity and access to students who have an associate degree and want to continue their education in a field that is always hiring. The demand for accounting professionals is expected to rise 7% by 2030, and the median salary for accountants and auditors with at least a bachelor's degree is $73,560 per year.
After successful completion of the bachelor's degree in accounting, students will be able to sit for the CPA exam in NY State under the 120-credit rule. Not everyone who studies accounting wants to be an accountant. Graduates in accounting have also pursued careers in business management, finance, and even law enforcement, equipped with the management, forensic, and financial skills gained in the online accounting program.
Things to Consider When Choosing an Online Accounting Degree
Not all accounting degrees online are the same. When selecting an accounting program, make sure to ask these three questions when talking to the admissions office:
- Does this degree program satisfy my state's CPA exam requirements?
The American Institute of CPAs breaks down state exam and licensure requirements for those who want to start on the path of becoming a licensed CPA.
- Can I transfer credits to this accounting program?
If you are transferring from a 2-year accounting degree or business degree, you have old credits from an accounting school, or you changed your major, make sure to do a thorough transfer evaluation with the college's accounting advisor so you know what will transfer, what won't, and what classes you can take to specialize.
- Is this program accredited?
You need to know about professional accreditations, such as AACSB accreditation, but you must also ask if the college itself is regionally accredited. While national accreditation seems more prestigious in name, it may easier to transfer credits from regionally accredited colleges than from nationally accredited colleges. For-profit colleges and technical schools often bear a national accreditation.
- What's a bachelor's degree?
- A bachelor’s degree usually takes four years to complete as a full-time student and mixes general education courses with specific courses tied to your major.
Courses you will take online
Learn to use industry-standard technology, including Power Bi, Tableau, and Alteryx. Take courses in:
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial Accounting
- Intermediate Accounting
- Cost Accounting
- Public Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Money and Banking
- Money and Capital Markets
- International Financial Management
- Financial Modeling and Investment Analysis
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- SUNY Online Success Coach
- Success Coaches are available for onboarding, networking, and success webinars with coaches and peers. One-on-one application support is available (no application fee).
- Personal assistance
- Tutoring support is available as well as additional support from our 7-day-a-week helpdesk.
- Program elements
- This program has been identified as a high-needs area and has received regional accreditation. Articulation agreements are in place for easy transfer.
- Additional elements for specific programs
- -Experiential learning opportunities
- SUNY Online Signature Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Signature Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I apply?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW