Earn your bachelor degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Overview of SUNY Plattsburgh Accounting BS - Online
The accounting bachelor's degree through SUNY Plattsburgh offers New York residents and working adults with scheduling and location constraints. Students who have earned an associate degree can finish the last two years of their accounting degree online. The program provides a unique opportunity and access to students who have an associate degree and want to continue their education in a field that is always hiring. The demand for accounting professionals is expected to rise 7% by 2030, and the median salary for accountants and auditors with at least a bachelor's degree is $73,560 per year.
After successful completion of the bachelor's degree in accounting, students will be able to sit for the CPA exam in NY State under the 120-credit rule. Not everyone who studies accounting wants to be an accountant. Graduates in accounting have also pursued careers in business management, finance, and even law enforcement, equipped with the management, forensic, and financial skills gained in the online accounting program.
SUNY Plattsburgh's online bachelor's programs are named 2023 Best Online Programs by US News and World Report.
Best Universities named SUNY Plattsburgh's online accounting degree a 2023 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Accounting Degrees.
Learn to use industry-standard technology, including Power Bi, Tableau, and Alteryx. Take courses in:
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial Accounting
- Intermediate Accounting
- Cost Accounting
- Public Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Money and Banking
- Money and Capital Markets
- International Financial Management
- Financial Modeling and Investment Analysis
Things to Consider When Choosing an Online Accounting Degree
Not all accounting degrees online are the same. When selecting an accounting program, make sure to ask these three questions when talking to the admissions office:
- Does this degree program satisfy my state's CPA exam requirements?
The American Institute of CPAs breaks down state exam and licensure requirements for those who want to start on the path of becoming a licensed CPA.
- Can I transfer credits to this accounting program?
If you are transferring from a 2-year accounting degree or business degree, you have old credits from an accounting school, or you changed your major, make sure to do a thorough transfer evaluation with the college's accounting advisor so you know what will transfer, what won't, and what classes you can take to specialize.
- Is this program accredited?
You need to know about professional accreditations, such as AACSB accreditation, but you must also ask if the college itself is regionally accredited. While national accreditation seems more prestigious in name, it may be easier to transfer credits from regionally accredited colleges than from nationally accredited colleges. For-profit colleges and technical schools often bear national accreditation.
- What's a bachelor's degree?
- A bachelor’s degree usually takes four years to complete as a full-time student and mixes general education courses with specific courses tied to your major.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- SUNY Online Plus Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Plus Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW