- Delivery Mode
- 75% Online
- Total Credits
- Degree Level
- Associate of Applied Science
- Contact Us
Earn your associate degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The Health Information Technology/Medical Records AAS from SUNY Suffolk will help students develop an understanding of the health information/medical records field. The Health Information Technology associate degree level program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Upon completion of the program, students will be eligible to apply to take the national qualifying examination for certification as a Registered Health Information Technician.
Health information professionals are dedicated to the effective management of patient information and healthcare data that is needed to deliver quality treatment and care to the public. Specialists ensure that providers, healthcare organizations, and patients have access to the right health information when and where it is needed while maintaining the highest standards of data integrity, confidentiality, and security.
Health information professionals work in a variety of healthcare delivery settings, such as, hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, group and individual medical practices, managed care organizations and correctional facilities, as well as in other settings such as attorneys’ offices, pharmaceutical and medical research firms, public agencies, insurers monitoring care provided to their clients, consulting firms, health data organizations and information systems vendors.
The curriculum combines general and technical education with career development and clinical experience. In addition to courses in liberal arts and sciences, the program provides one semester of fieldwork. Students will be prepared for roles such as data integrity analyst, quality improvement analyst, clinical coder, reimbursement/revenue cycle specialist, clinical informatics coordinator, clinical documentation improvement specialist, and positions in supervision/management.
Students must achieve a minimum passing grade of C in each Health Information Technology course in order to continue to the next course in the sequence and to qualify for graduation with a Health Information Technology major. Students will be permitted to repeat a Health Information Technology course only once.
- What's an associate degree?
- An associate degree usually takes two years of study and prepares students for employment or transfer to a bachelor’s program at a four-year university.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Credit for prior knowledge
- Get college credit for experience that you have already gained at school or in the workforce.
- Access to a personal tutor
- You will have access to a tutor when you need assistance with any of your classes.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW