Earn your master degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
A fully online master’s in therapeutic recreation
Therapeutic recreation is one of the fastest growing health and human services professions, listed by CNN Money as one of the best jobs to save the world and by Forbes as one of the most meaningful college majors.
SUNY Cortland is nationally recognized in the field and students can pursue a fully online M.S. in therapeutic recreation from any undergraduate background. The program provides the educational training to become a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS).
Therapeutic recreation specialists help people with disabilities and other differences achieve a state of well-being, working in clinical settings such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, nursing homes, parks and recreation departments, camps and schools.
SUNY Cortland also offers a six-course online certificate for professionals who require the necessary coursework to become a CTRS. Those courses can apply to the M.S.
- What's a master's degree?
- A master's degree is an advanced degree that usually takes two years to complete and typically requires students to have a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Live classes
- You will learn in real-time while the instructor leads the class. Courses are similar to in-person classes, but you participate online.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Credit for prior knowledge
- Get college credit for experience that you have already gained at school or in the workforce.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW