Earn your advanced-certificate degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The Advanced Certificate is a 24-credit Post-Master's in Nursing specializing in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Practice (PMHNP). The Advanced Certificate in PMHNP prepares nurses with an advanced body of knowledge to provide mental health services across the lifespan.
The online program consists of a 24-credit curriculum that focuses on advances in diagnostic reasoning; biostatistics and epidemiology trends; therapeutics in psychopharmacology; and advanced theory in psychiatric mental health nursing practice. The curriculum also integrates 640 clinical hours under the specialty of preceptorships with nurse practitioners or physicians practicing in psychiatric mental health.
The psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner provides mental health service through diagnosis and treatment; prevention and mental health promotion programs; interprofessional collaboration and consultation with mental health providers; and leadership roles across health care clinics, hospitals, community agencies and private practice. Graduates of this program meet the educational requirements for national board certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center and are eligible for New York State NP certification.
The Advanced Certificate with a specialization in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Practice is a distance education program with synchronous and asynchronous delivery. The program consists of 24-credits and 640 clinical hours.
- What's an advanced certificate?
- Advanced, or graduate, certificates are designed to provide focused study to support a particular career interest. They vary in number of credits and typically require students to have a bachelor’s degree.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Live classes
- You will learn in real-time while the instructor leads the class. Courses are similar to in-person classes, but you participate online.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW