Earn your master degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The MS in Early Childhood/Childhood Education program leads to the M.S. degree needed for New York professional teacher certification in the area of Childhood Education 1-6 (NY certification option) or Early Childhood Birth-2 (NY certification option), or for a Master's degree in any state (non-NY certification option). For both degree options, the required 30 credit coursework is the same. This program is intended for teachers who already have initial certification. In either an online or campus-based format, the program focuses on responsive teaching and empowerment for students and teachers. Newly revised in 2013, the coursework brings together current research and policy to prepare teachers to teach children from grades 1-6 or Birth - grade 2. Coursework addresses the key components of literacy and content areas instruction, including literacy development, children's literature, science, mathematics, social studies, writing instruction, literacy engagement, strategic literacy instruction, assessment, data-based decision making, critical literacy, family partnerships, and the Common Core Standards. Initial teaching certification in Childhood Education or Early Childhood is required for admission into this program. If you are interested in obtaining your literacy certification, please consider the MS in Literacy degree.
- What's a master's degree?
- A master's degree is an advanced degree that usually takes two years to complete and typically requires students to have a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Access to a personal tutor
- You will have access to a tutor when you need assistance with any of your classes.
- SUNY Online Plus Program
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Plus Program includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- Request Program Information
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- Apply Now