Earn your master degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
If you currently teach or plan on teaching and want to learn more about developmental reading, and are not seeking New York State teaching certification, our literacy education studies program will provide you with the tools necessary to achieve your professional goals.
UB's literacy education studies program will expand your knowledge of the theories, methods, and materials of reading, reading instruction, language, language instruction, and reading assessment. The program requires 30 credits, 27 of which are required graduate coursework and 3 elective credits that must be approved by your advisor. The coursework focuses on curriculum components such as the study of literacy and digital technology; adolescent literacy practices; content area reading, language, literacy and culture; and childrens and young adult literature. These components will enable you to develop competencies that will enrich grade level students performance capabilities. Classes are small and students get individualized attention.
- What's a master's degree?
- A master's degree is an advanced degree that usually takes two years to complete and typically requires students to have a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Request Program Information
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- Apply Now